Executive Committee meeting: Thursday, 3 November Chairman: James Foulds
Conservation Group meetings: 27 September & 8 November
Chairman John Tranter (Tel: 873507)
Environment Groupmeetings: 16 November
Chairman: Bob Hardcastle (Tel: 871633)
Footpaths Groupmeetings: 5 December
Chair: Carol Wood
All members of the Civic Society are welcome to attend our Group Meetings. Please contact the group chairmen for the location of the meeting places.
Should any member have a point to put forward it is always possible to contact an Executive Committee member to have it brought up at a meeting.
Clevedon is a seaside resort on the Bristol Channel with easy access from the M5 at Junction 20.
Our attractive town, which has a population of about 21,000, is a vibrant mix of the old and the new, with a good selection of shops for all tastes and a wide assortment of excellent restaurants to relish.
Fantastic views are to be had across the water to South Wales along with interesting walks and one of the most famous sunsets in the country.
This all goes to making Clevedon a special place to enjoy, so
Alan Lyons title is ‘Head of Show’, in this talk he will tell us how the Show is run, its history leading up to the present day and his own involvement.
Leave Strode Road Car Park at 9.30am
Leaders: Chris & Colin Jarvis.
More details later.
A lot has changed since this engraving was etched, but a lot is familiar as well.
Described in the book as ‘Clevedon from the Park Hill’.
Christ Church - described in the book as ‘New Church’ and the area as ‘Mount Elton’.
Described as ‘The Old Church and distant view of Clevedon’
Described as ‘Distant view of Walton Castle & Sir Abraham’s Hill. From Strawberry Hill’
Described in the book as ‘South Front of Clevedon Court’
This book of six engravings of Clevedon was recently presented to the Civic Society History Group by an un-named correspondent from Surrey, who found the book whilst clearing out a house. We thank that person for the gift.
The book was published in the town by A.R. Ransford of the Royal Library in Hill Road.
Wrington Fire Brigade
The story of the Brigade from 1939 until 1980.
In November 1939 the local paper reported that the formation of Wrington’s Auxiliary Fire Brigade was proceeding satisfactorily, by the following April the men had obtained their trailer pump and were almost ready to start operations…